Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Home One Month!

Natasha has been home over a month now and things are starting to settle into somewhat of a routine. We are still learning so much about one another, every day is an adventure. She still is having trouble going to school for a full day and completing her assignments. She can sure throw a big fat fit! But today she really enjoyed both school and homework, so who knows maybe we have turned a corner. But it is too early to tell.

Natasha really loves my brother's horses and has quickly become comfortable around them. Saturday we saddled up for the first time. She showed no fear and was soon trotting around the arena. She seemed pretty natural up there . . . I am looking forward to the two of us riding together. We also took her on a little 4 Wheeling trip in the Jeep. She didn't like that so much. I don't thinks she saw the point of boucing around the back seat. Oh well! She did enjoy posing for pictures and taking them once we got to our destination.


Natasha's English is improving each week, and I think that will help with being able to hang in there for a full day of school. Hearing a language you do not understand all day is exhausting.
I am still trying to figure out how to best help her with English. I have looked at some on-line tutoring through Skype, as well as some more traditional private tutors. Today I met with a retired ESL teacher who is a friend of a friend. She was very kind and provided me all kinds of ideas and materials for us. I still don't know what is the best way to help her . . . I think I will rely on this retired teacher to guide me.

But we can carry on simple conversations and her vocabulary is growing all the time. She is so funny with some of the things she comes up with like "one puppy, daddy please".
The next day " Mommy, no puppy, one cat" , Now it is "okay, no dog, no cat, but one horse"
When I tell her the horses are Mario's, but we can ride them, she says " Mario give me horse for my happy birthday". Well, I don't think so . . . .

2 comments:

cmf said...

Laurel,
I hired a Russian/English tutor for about ten sessions, just to teach Olia the structure of the language. Then I went to the library and borrowed English CDs and played them everytime we got in the car. You will be amazed at how fast she picks up English. There is a computer site called Starfall.com(I think) and it teaches basic English vowel and consonant sounds. Olia went on it alot when she was first in the U.S.
Colleen

Anonymous said...

Laurel,
I believe Natasha has been home 3 months now, would you be willing to updated your blog for all us bloggies? I'm interested in knowing how she is doing now? How is she adjusting to American life? You know, all the fun stuff. :) And if you're not wanting to share the fun stuff, I'll be happy to read the not-so-fun-stuff too.